New Year’s Resolutions For The 2012 Bride
It is difficult to imagine a more exciting and more important moment in a woman’s life than her wedding. Naturally, you want every detail perfect and personalized to your liking. The same applies to your marriage. If you are tying the knot next year, here are a couple of New Year’s resolutions you can make to be the bride of your husband’s dreams:
1. Get to know your mother-in-law. There is no limit to the horror stories and jokes that have been made about mothers-in-law. This is a universal phenomenon but here’s the thing, you don’t have to be part of the statistics. You can be the exception. Make an extra effort to get to know your mother-in-law. Be sincere and spend time with her. As daunting or frightening as that may sound, you may just find that she is just as lovable as the man that you chose to spend the rest of your life with.
2. Learn the names and faces of your husband’s extended family. Get one step ahead and come prepared for the inevitable family reunion. Whether enlisting the aid of Facebook, old family albums or a family tree, learn the names and faces of your husband’s extended family beforehand. This will definitely endear you to his relatives and your husband will certainly appreciate your efforts.
3. Learn how to cook your husband’s favorite meal. As the saying goes, “The fastest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”. Romance your husband by surprising him with his favorite meal after a long day at work. This will surely win his affections and make him grateful he chose you to be his wife!
4. Set aside time for yourself each week. There’s nothing quite like burnout to kill the romance in marriage. Take a break each week from household chores and the daily grind to spend hours soaked in a bubble bath or getting pampered at your neighbourhood salon or spa. This way, you are recharged and ready to be a fun, energetic wife for your hubby.
5. Fight for your husband, and not with him. The first year of a marriage is often called the honeymoon phase. Keep the fire burning by fighting for your husband and not with him. When you find yourself tempted to pick a fight, remember all the reasons you married him and try to understand what exactly about his behaviour is upsetting you. Then talk to him about it in a calm, respectful manner. Defend your husband in front of other people and never criticize him publicly.
6. Make an effort to look beautiful and eat healthy. Despite the fact that you’ve already won your husband’s heart and know that he’s legally yours for all time; don’t become lax with your physical appearance and your health. This doesnt mean that you need to sleep in your make-up, rather its just about maintaining your already stellar health and beauty. Be discriminating with your food choices and prepare meals that are healthier for the both of you. Make health and fitness a journey you do together.
7. Understand that you don’t have to win every argument. While we women are notorious for always wanting to have the last say in everything, don’t let that attitude find its way into your marriage. Learn how to apologize when you know you are in wrong and keep quiet in the heat of the argument unless there is something that really needs to be said. This will save you from saying things that you don’t really mean and that you will regret in the future.
8. Leave sweet notes for your husband to find. Leave sweet notes in unlikely places for your husband to find. Whether kinky, sweet or simply thoughtful, this small but beautiful gesture is sure to leave a smile on your hubby’s face.
9. Accommodate his hobbies and pastimes. No matter how much basketball bores you or how you just can’t understand how the stock market works despite your best efforts, listen intently as he raves or rants or sit down and watch the game with him. Your husband will surely love you all the more for it.
10. Show appreciation for him every so often. Sweet talk your husband and tell him how much you appreciate him and the things that he does. Whether it is his hardworking ways or how he’s always available to fix things around the house, tell him how you feel and express your appreciation.
While the first few months of marriage may seem heavenly, there’s no harder work than working on a marriage. These are only some resolutions you can make as you enter 2012 as a bride. Give these resolutions a personal touch or better yet, come up with your own.
Olivia Nicholas is a writer and blogger with Storkie. She has been writing articles and blogging for the wedding industry for over 10 years.