Tips For Choosing A Cosmetic Dentist
Patients across the country have a wide variety of cosmetic dental needs. Some people want to work with a specialist in order to have their teeth whitened, while others are looking into finding a cosmetic dentist to perform periodontal plastic surgery. Other popular cosmetic dental procedures include tooth bonding, fillings and orthodontic work. No matter what type of cosmetic dental work you are interested in having completed, you will want to find an expert dentist who specializes in cosmetic procedures. The following tips will help you find the perfect doctor for your situation.
License: Creative Commons image source
Tips for Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist
1. Choose a dentist that focuses on and specializes in cosmetic dentistry. While many general dentists can perform cosmetic procedures, this is not necessarily their priority. A dentist who specializes in cosmetic procedures will be able to focus solely on the appearance of your teeth, your mouth and your smile.
2. Find a dentist that is a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry is the top professional organization for dentists who focus on cosmetic work. Dentists who are members of this elite organization participate in regular training sessions about the latest techniques and procedures, as well as attend conventions and web conferences in order to be informed of the best information in the industry as soon as possible.
3. Ask the various dentists you are considering for referrals. You will want to speak to previous patients who have worked with the professionals that you are considering for your procedure. This will give you unbiased, first-hand information about the dentist you are choosing to work with, and can help you make an honest assessment about that professional.
4. Inquire about the educational background of the dentists you are considering working with for your cosmetic procedure, and also ask about any additional training they have completed in order to make them more qualified. You will want to choose a dentist who has successfully completed at least some post-graduate courses in cosmetic dentistry. For instance, you might want to consider a dentist who has completed a porcelain veneer course or who has taken a special class on the latest orthodontic options available to patients today.
5. Complete your research by viewing before and after photographs of actual patients who have worked with the dentists you are considering. This will help you visualize what your own results might look like after your cosmetic dental work is complete, and can also help you decide on which particular procedures will be best for your situation. It will help you make your final decision about which dentist is right for you.
Ultimately, you need to choose a cosmetic dentist who makes you feel comfortable and confident about the procedure you are going to have done. You want to go to your appointment relaxed and excited about the improvements that are going to be made to your smile. Whether you are dreaming of brighter, whiter teeth, or you are hoping to finally have that straight smile you can be proud of in photographs, it’s essential to start the process by finding the best cosmetic dentist available.
Rachael Whitman is a health and wellness expert who writes regular columns for a variety of online and print publications.